Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Recovery Day 30 - Adding To My Diet

On Monday I managed to again go all day without pumping formula. Timing when I eat and having the time to eat are problematic. I didn't have time to eat before I walked at the mall so I was very "hungry". About the only thing at the mall that I could eat was a Dairy Queen malt. I had a medium and according to their nutrition guide that was about 800 calories!

Hungry is in quotes above because I generally have no desire for food but I can tell that my stomach is empty and needs something. When I open the refrigerator I look at all the food and nothing jumps out at me as something I have any inclination to eat. Consequently it is challenging to come up with something to eat. My fallback is to ask Cathy what I should eat. Pretty lame, eh?

The big change to my diet was at dinner last night. Cathy had made some French Toast concoction in the blender a couple days ago. I tried eating it last night and gave up in frustration after eating half of it. Even with syrup it was hard to eat. I was pretty disgusted with myself. The rest of the family had beef brisket (from my good neighbor Ken) for dinner and there was one piece left on the table so I figured what the heck I’ll try it. I pounded it down, and then had two more pieces. It was incredible to eat meat again! It took me 30 minutes to eat those three pieces but I was overjoyed at being able to eat it.

I was at Dr Klancar's office yesterday and she said I was pretty much on track. But I want to be on the FAST track!

I did get my sprinkler fixed and blown out yesterday between a doctor visit and walking at the mall. There were a number of folks that offered to help and I should have taken them up on it. I hadn't realized how much my strength decreased over the past few months of treatment and recovery. I was pretty pooped when it was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment