Thursday, October 22, 2009

Recovery Day 39 - Dining Out!

After walking at the mall this morning with my mom I took her out for lunch at Sweet Tomatoes. This was my first time to eat out since about the middle of July. I tried a little bit of salad (I ate it but the dressing was very spicy), some pasta (not enough sauce, hard to eat), beets (which I normally avoid at all costs), a number of soups, macaroni and cheese and finally some soft serve yogurt/ice cream. It took a long time to eat all that. I ate about 3/4 of the mac and cheese before it got too cold to eat. The tomato soup was good. I hadn't tried tomato soup until today and it's good to know I can eat it without it irritating my mouth and throat. That opens up a lot of other possible foods to try.

My mom and I then went shopping for soups and other canned items with the maximum amount of calories. People listening to us must think we're crazy. The conversation would go like this: How about this soup? No, it ONLY has 90 calories per serving. Hey, this one has 210 calories per serving! Better get three then.

My neighbor Louis read my last post about using the Nystatin rinse. He works in a pharmacy so he called the company that makes Nystatin and found out that they recommend waiting 30 minutes before rinsing with water or brushing your teeth. A big thanks to Louis for tracking that down. One of my doctors said I didn't have to wait any time at all. Oops!

I try not to write really long posts but I want to end with some humor. I have a bottle of BMX that is in an identical bottle as my Nystatin. The BMX is a mix of Benadryl, Maalox and Lidocaine. It's designed to numb my mouth and throat should it be painful. Unfortunately I grabbed the wrong bottle when I was intending to rinse with Nystatin. I thoroughly swished it around in my mouth and even gargled with it. The first indication that something was wrong was when I spit it out. I wondered why it was pink instead of yellow. About that time my lips started to go numb. I quickly realized what I had done and tried to rinse my mouth out with water but it was too late. My ENTIRE mouth was numb. My tongue felt like it was two inches thick, the roof of my mouth was numb, my gums were numb, my lips were numb. My mouth was so numb that I was drooling and could hardly speak. I could have had teeth pulled and not felt it. I couldn't swallow pills. After only 40 minutes things returned to normal and I could then take Nystatin from the correct bottle. Needless to say I have clearly marked the bottle of BMX so this doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment