Thursday, July 2, 2009

Biopsy Surgery

The biopsy was today at 2pm (only 20 days after my first visit to my primary care doctor!). I think the surgery would have started right on time but Dr Nemechek and I got talking for a while in pre-op.

While I'm in recovery (from general anesthesia, a buttload of pain and a serious lack of cute nurses) Dr Nemechek talked to my wife and mom and gave them the news that it was a tumor that was removed and his diagnosis that it was cancerous. He didn't tell me anything, but that's OK because I was kind of out of it anyhow. About all I knew was that to get out of recovery I had to do three things: eat a bowl of Jello, get my oxygen blood level up and take a whiz. Being groggy from pain meds makes it tough to take a full breath of air so they give you this two handed cylinder thing with a rather phallic looking tube thing that comes out of the cylinder that you breath out of. Well, after much giggling and playing with the phallic looking tube (it extends and you can make it “dangle” various directions much to the disgust of your wife and every nurse on the floor) I finally got my blood oxygen up to the correct level. The Jello was next and it was very easy as I hadn’t eaten any solid foods since the prior night. Taking a whiz was greatly aided when the nurse hooked me up to a brand new IV bag of saline, cranked it to full drip and included a new dose of pain meds. I had never become so dizzy in such a short period of time. I literally had to lay down and let it pass. But a few minutes later it was Mission Accomplished in the bathroom.

We stopped for a Jamba Juice on the way home that night after being released at 8 pm. I had no idea what was going on but the cool, fruity nature of the Jamba Juice worked great on my burning throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment