Friday, July 10, 2009

PET Scan

The PET Scan was interesting. Parts of it weren't as difficult as I expected. The injection of the radioactive sugar had no side effects. However, the technician sticking the IV into me must have been from the "B" team as she was fishing around in my arm trying to find a vein. I finally told it wasn't going to happen and she used a vein on the back of my hand instead. The Barium "milkshake" was challenging to choke down. I tried to see if this lady sitting next to me in the waiting room wanted a swig. She turned me down. I probably could have gotten away with not drinking it all as nobody checked how much was still in the cup.

The IV solution was to mix in my system for 40 minutes while I was resting. By my reckoning it was not more than 35 minutes of a wait.

Going through the PET Scan/CT machine was pretty easy. I just closed my eyes an relaxed. However, after 15 minutes I found out that my elbows where not on the padded part of the table and they were starting to hurt. At 20 minutes the pain was bad. By 25 minutes I couldn't feel my elbows. Forunately the test was over.

Results would be forthcoming on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment