Thursday, July 30, 2009

Treatment - Day 4

The past two days have been difficult. My guts were all backed up - most likely due to chemotherapy on Monday - and I didn't feel well enough to eat. Consequently, I lost a few pounds. Yesterday I took two Senocote laxative pills that were supposed to produce a bowel movement in 6 to 12 hours. No luck after 20+ hours. Feeling somewhat hungry after the radiation treatment today I stopped for takeout Hot & Sour soup (large) from a local Chinese restaurant. That seemed to have done the trick. Whew! Who knew I could get tasty nutrition and a BM in one package.

Thinking that the worst was over I later tried out the nutrition formula Iso-Source 1.5 through the feeding tube. I first pushed about 20 ml of water through the tube and then 60 ml of formula followed by another 20 ml of water. 30 minutes later my guts/stomach were back to feeling sour and that lasted long enough that I went back to bed and then didn't feel like eating any dinner. I later ate a very small amount of bread and some whole milk with Glutasolve mixed in it. The Glutasolve is supposed to help with GI issues. I can use all the help I can get with GI issues.

On Tuesday afternoon I went over to see Father Ken at Pax Christi Catholic church for Annointing of the Sick.

Wednesday evening Julia McCusker from Troop 628 brought a multi-course feast consisting of Beef Stroganoff (on of my very favorite meals!!) and a number of side dishes and other meals. I tasted a bit of it that night but unfortunately just enough to get a taste which was quite pleasurable. I hope the boys leave enough leftovers that I can get a respectable meal out of it. It sure tasked good.

I think that we'll get the jump on the laxatives BEFORE the next chemotherapy sessions. In the clinic there a bunch of little old ladies and men. The look pretty calm sitting in their recliners hooked up to their chemo bags. Probably because the know the good stuff to use for laxatives and when to take them. I'll have to pump them for tips when I'm back in there Monday.

Today, Cathy put together a spreadsheet to keep track of all the medicines and fluids that I'm supposed to take each day. Together on one sheet all the tasks are daunting. But it's good to have a place to track progress (or my lack of it).

I picked up 4 cases of formula that will be enough for only 12 days if only formula can be used. The $100 price tag was steep and I'm still not sure that the formula I tried out is going to work. After Friday the price tag jumps to over $140.

My salivary glands seem to be producing less salivation each day. I'm using Biotene toothpaste but I'm going to have to step up performing frequent mouth rinsing.

No comments:

Post a Comment