Thursday, July 23, 2009

PEG-tube Procedure Completed

The PEG-Tube procedure was completed today. Cathy was with me at the hospital from 8am to 4pm.

I thought the procedure was to be done under general anesthesia but instead they used a local anesthesia along with some other drugs and I was awake for the entire thing. I don't remember the actual tube being placed (one of the drugs makes you forget) but I definitely recall the "wire" being threaded through my nostril, into my throat and then to my stomach. That was weird.
This link explains the procedure in more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percutaneous_endoscopic_gastrostomy

The recovery period took a little longer than expected as I came close to passing out on my first walk down the hall. The lack of food since midnight and the pain meds did a double whammy on me.

My chest/stomach feels like I have a really bad bruise. I don't think I'll be doing any sit ups tonight. Driving is also out of the question due to the Percocet pain medicine.

During recovery we met with the nutritionist. The formula that needs to be used will not be covered by insurance. That is going to get expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment