Thursday, July 9, 2009

Radiologist First Visit

The Radiologist says I need to meet with my Dentist to make sure my teeth are OK and to get me fitted for some sort of device to use during the radiation treatments. Something to do with preventing backscatter from my fillings. I need to get more info on this. That appointment is next Tuesday.

The radiation is going to be such that by the end of week two I won't be able to talk much nor will I be able to eat any food in the normal method. A feeding tube will be necessary. I also need to get fitted for a mask that will be used during radiation. The mask has dual purposes. First of all it holds my head in place during the radiation so that I don't move and end up radiating my brain. That's good as I need all the brain cells I have. Secondly, the mask is used to line up the radiation "gun" at certain points to ensure they are hitting all the right spots.

Full chemotherapy and radiation is expected to start in 10 to 15 days. Each weekday morning will take about an hour for radiation and one day a week they'll add chemotherapy to that. That schedule will last for six to seven weeks. By week three they said I won’t want to eat anything by mouth because my throat will hurt so bad and my taste buds and salivary glands will be toast. Hence the feeding tube. I’ve told my wife I’m going to chase her around the bedroom with the feeding tube :) – just the thought of it grosses her out. I’m even going to have to get special toothpaste, mouthwash and gum to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment