Saturday, September 5, 2009

3-day weekend

Oops ... major slip ... I failed to say that Jim's spirits seemed to be better yesterday than they were on Thursday. And today's not bad either. I think we almost got Jim talked into going outside to sit on the patio this afternoon. Or maybe he was just being agreeable because it was easier than not. I'm a bit worried about him sitting alone indoors in a darkened room all day long. Seems to me it would depress anyone. I've tried to talk him into reading or listening to music or watching a movie but he hasn't been interested. I try talking to him but that doesn't work well for either of us for long. He tried joining us in the main part of the house today but he can't seem to handle all the voices and noises and activity so he went back upstairs soon after.

Our priest Fr. Ken came over to chat with Jim last night and brought him a Mother Theresa meditation. I was thinking of having a number of us read and record it for him to play back. Now if I can just get around to doing that ...

Today Jim helped me to pay bills. This is normally his job and as he has much of it automated it's not as easy as me just writing some checks. His mind was working pretty well for this task but his stomach wasn't exactly cooperating so it took a bit longer than expected. However I was sooooo thankful he could do this.

Now whereas most of us are happy for a 3-day weekend, Jim has mixed feelings. Because Monday is a holiday he doesn't have radiation and so will have to go one day into the following week in order to get in his last 5 full treatments. He would MUCH prefer to get it all over with on the 11th. Yesterday he tried to bribe the doctor into shortening his number of treatments but the doc would have none of it. He said that they know what treatment works and they don't dare do less or the cancer might not be destroyed.

Sorry that you're missing out on gory details of how things are going. If he felt up to it I know Jim would have plenty of gross things to tell you about. But instead you're stuck with me and will have to wait for him to recover some before he starts to share.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update my friend. We are praying for the day it is over and Jim is on the mends!
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the bargaining stage. Jeff was convinced he really only needed 10 sessions instead of 12. Those silly doctors disagreed!

    ReplyDelete